Monday 25 November 2013

'Normal Map' Testing for exterior scene Brickwork


Original Design



Normal Map



Specularity Normal Map



Combine these to produce a result like the below. 

First a test sequence on 3 3-dimensional shapes in Crazy Bump's preview mode - 


Column


Sphere


Block


Then after this stage, and I am happy with my initial result, I export the maps I have created, and then fire up Maya, model a Polygon Plane and apply the normal map and original image (for colour) with help aligning the textures with the UV Texture editor. I found for this test, working from a Blinn material due to it's specularity produce, that I might get a really nice wet look, seen as it's just rained outside in my scene before the movie begins, it just appears to work well against the darker areas and crevices in the pattern work. 





Ultimately, this is as far as I can take this render, because I have worked from the top image, and UV mapped that on top of the Normal map stuff, but for the final film, it will definitely be spiced up with some colour. Ultimately, this image makes a more clunky looking visual, that could be tidier, and the cement between the bricks could be a little more 'Americanised' and thinner, and after consulting with Mikey on the subject and producing the attempt with the Displacement map below, i'd say we achieved just the right balance of what I was looking for initially. 


Attempt with a Displacement Map with a Bump depth of 0.150 

No comments:

Post a Comment